Victorville Shoplifting Lawyer
Aggressive Defense Against Shoplifting Charges in California
Shoplifting is a crime that is taken very seriously in California. If you are convicted of shoplifting, you could face severe penalties, including jail time, fines, and a criminal record that can make it challenging to find employment, housing, and more. At Holistic Legal, Our Victorville shoplifting attorney understands the stress and anxiety that come with being accused of a crime, and we are here to provide the compassionate, personalized legal guidance you need.
Call Holistic Legal today at (760) 227-7625 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with our shoplifting attorney in Victorville.
What is Shoplifting?
Shoplifting is a criminal offense involving unlawful taking of merchandise or goods from a retail establishment. It encompasses various actions, such as concealing items, altering price tags, or switching labels to pay less for an item. Shoplifting can be either a misdemeanor or felony, depending on factors such as the value of the stolen goods, prior convictions, and other circumstances surrounding the incident. Holistic Legal is well-versed in the nuances of shoplifting cases, ensuring that our clients receive comprehensive legal assistance tailored to their specific situations.
What are the Penalties for Shoplifting in California?
Shoplifting penalties in California can be severe and differ depending on the value of the stolen items and the defendant's criminal history. Generally, shoplifting is categorized as either petty theft or grand theft:
- Petty Theft: If the value of the stolen goods is less than $950, it is considered petty theft, a misdemeanor offense. Penalties may include fines, restitution, and potential imprisonment.
- Grand Theft: If the value of the stolen goods exceeds $950, it may be classified as grand theft, that can be charged as a misdemeanor or felony. Grand theft convictions can lead to higher fines, longer prison sentences, and a more extensive criminal record.
Defenses Against Shoplifting Charges
Some common defenses against shoplifting charges may include:
- Lack of Intent: If it can be proven that you did not intend to steal the merchandise and that the act was accidental, it may be a viable defense.
- Mistaken Identity: This could be a compelling defense if there is reasonable doubt about your identity as the perpetrator.
- False Accusations: In some instances, individuals may be wrongly accused of shoplifting due to misunderstandings or misinformation.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If evidence was acquired through an unlawful search or seizure, it may be possible to exclude that evidence from the case.
Contact Our Shoplifting Attorney in Victorville Today
The consequences of a shoplifting conviction can have a lasting effect on various aspects of your life, including employment opportunities and personal relationships. Holistic Legal is your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Contact our Victorville shoplifting lawyer today to schedule a consultation and take the first step toward building a strong defense for your case.
Contact Holistic Legal today to get started with our Victorville shoplifting lawyer.
Charge Dismissed 2nd Degree Robbery & Assault Likely to Produce GBI ( Felony-Strike Offense)
Charge Reduced Arson & Insurance Fraud ( Felony-Strike Offense)
Plea Deal: Attempted Murder W/ Gun Attempted Murder W/ Gun Enhancement ( Felony-Strike Offense)
Case Reduced Corporal Injury to Spouse / Cohabitant (Domestic Violence Charges)
Case Dismissed Cruelty to a Child (Misdo)
Charge Dismissed: Cultivation of Marijuana Cultivation of Marijuana (Misdo)